Position Description
Press Johns Hopkins University Press
Category
Production and Design
Title
Ebook Production Coordinator

Description

General Job Description

The position of EBook Production Coordinator will report to the Manager, Electronic Production.  75% of the successful candidate’s time will be spent managing the receipt, classification, processing, and launch of approximately 4,000 books annually. The remaining 25% of time will be dedicated to managing a portion of the MUSE journal content.

This position will collaborate with Project MUSE’s Electronic Production, Publisher Relations and Content Development, and Tech teams to monitor, index, and track metadata and book files (PDF and EPUB) from more than 100 publishing partners through the Project MUSE launch process. The EBooks Production Coordinator will delegate work to internal Electronic Production Specialists daily and to external production contractors as needed.

This position will also act as a Journal Production Coordinator, responsible for managing a subset of MUSE publishing partners and shepherding their journal content through all aspects of the production process from receipt for files until launch.

Specific Duties and Responsibilities

The EBook Production Coordinator will:

  • Oversee the assignment of book content to appropriate disciplines and collections and make recommendations for new collections based on content received.
  • Recommend and implement adjustments to the current workflow, tools, and publisher resources to streamline ebook production.
  • Contribute to a variety of long- and short-term projects that relate to Production, MUSE in general, or JHUP as a whole.
  • Oversee quality control of book files and data to ensure publishing partners adhere to Project MUSE specifications.
  • Act as a liaison between MUSE Production, Tech, and MUSE publishing partners for file production and metadata issues related to ebooks.
  • Establish content (metadata and file) delivery and production schedules to ensure production and indexing deadlines are met to support annual Project MUSE collection goals.
  • Manage relationship with all Project MUSE book publisher partners.
  • Manage relationship with a portion of MUSE journal publishing partners.
  • Manage the indexing workflow, including hiring and supervising JHU student employees.

 

Minimum Qualifications

  • Bachelors degree required.
  • One year of publishing experience required.
  • Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.

 

Preferred Qualifications

  • Prior experience in academic or for-profit publishing, either in editorial content development or production.
  • Familiarity with academic publishing, particularly the university press and related not-for-profit sectors, and with open access publishing initiatives.
  • Knowledge of electronic publishing trends.

 

Technical Skills

  • Proficiency in technologies for electronic publishing, including Excel, Adobe Acrobat Professional, HTML and XML.
  • Familiarity with metadata standards, including ONIX, MARC21, LCSH, LC Name Authorities, and BISAC.

 

Personal Skills

  • Diligent work habits and ability to meet tight deadlines.
  • High level of professionalism.
  • Strong written and verbal communications skills.
  • Self-motivated, creative problem-solver with excellent attention to detail.
  • Ability to plan, organize, and manage multiple priorities effectively and efficiently.
  • Willingness to learn new applications and follow web standards to improve the Project MUSE production environment.

To Apply:  https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Ebook-Production-Coordinator-MD-21218/523481800/

 

E-mail
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Posted
2019-01-16